Tuesday, January 15, 2008

My name is ebony and I'm a planner junkie. The highlight of my year isn't my birthday or Christmas, it's right about November or so when I go to pick out my new planner. Some years I don't even make it to November, I start looking in October. And I'm a Planner Snob too. I refuse to carry just any planner. I prefer Franklin Covey. I know there are cheaper planners (the horror!) and more expensive planner, but I'm a girl who knows what I like. That's why I was so disappointed when I couldn't find any calender pages that I like this year. I looked high and low and nothing. I was resigned to just get some pages from Target and make do. This would be the part where a light bulb would appear over my head. I don't have to settle, I can make my own! My biggest grip with planner pages is the scheduling part. My routine really doesn't require me to schedule every hour of my day. My planner needs to be able to handle the busy life of this single mom of 5. So this is the breakdown of my new planner.

Sections:
Monthly--This is were I keep my schedule. It's enough for me to write "Doc appt-mom 2pm" I have ample white space on each monthly calender to write details such as telephone number, address, etc.

Daily--This is where I had fun. I went for the 2 page spread. On the 1st page I have Appointments, To Call, To Write, Errands, Self Minder (includes Quiet Time & Journal, Exercise, Family Time, Prayer & Bible Study), Family (includes Homework & Chores), Holidays/Reminders and Notes
On the 2nd page I have Memory Verse, Declutter, Internet Search, Books Read/To Read and Future Goals

On a busy day, I may forget to check my kid's homework and they won't remind me, now I have a reminder every day. I can keep track of websites I visited in one place instead of on post-it notes. It was easy to type this up in Word and just print it to size and punch holes in the pages.

Lists--I like to keep lists. Here I have my cleaning schedule, gift ideas, library lists, To Buy list, master to do list, etc. If it can be put in list form, I'll do it.

Notes--This is where I keep misc. stuff. If it's a one time deal, I'll put it here. I was calling around trying to find cheap car insurance, this is where I put the info.

Quotes--I'm also a quote addict. I'm always writing down clever or funny quotes I've heard or read.

Addresses--This one's kinda explains itself. I do keep one or two extra sheets of paper in this section for jotting down misc. names and numbers.

I had so much fun doing this, that I've knocked out most of my Christmas and Kwanzaa gifts for this year. I'm going to have my kids decorate planner pages for their aunties with various themes, such as Black History, Faith/Religious and Motherhood.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Nasir's Mom said...

Thanks for reminding me to get a new planner. I need to get organized this year.

Friday, January 18, 2008 at 3:49:00 PM EST  
Blogger Believer said...

Good stuff. Hmmm. Please email me tips on making a cleaning schedule.

Friday, January 18, 2008 at 6:46:00 PM EST  
Blogger Marcia Francois said...

I do exactly the same.

I actually gave up on trying to find the perfect planner so I get the most gorgeous one i can find (so I'll want to use it) and personalise it with my own lists

Thursday, January 24, 2008 at 12:44:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home